Director of Operations
Position Posted: December 29, 2022 Apply Before: February 18, 2023
Job Category & Wage: Full-time Exempt, commensurate with experience
Location: West Michigan
Career Level: 5+ years experience, strongly preferred
Preferred Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Operations, Finance, Non-Profit Management, or Professional Golf Management or similar is preferred
The Lake Michigan Junior Golf Association was established in 2006 but soon shifted its focus to creating a chapter of the First Tee. First Tee – West Michigan officially became a chapter on June 23, 2011.
First Tee – West Michigan is one of 150 First Tee chapters worldwide. First Tee was created in 1997 by the World Golf Foundation to use golf and character education to provide kids and teens of all backgrounds an opportunity to develop life-enhancing values like honesty, integrity and sportsmanship. By engaging in a combination of life skills, leadership and golf activities, First Tee’s programs will help kids and teens become valuable assets in their community and eventually, high-character, high-integrity men and women.
At First Tee – West Michigan, we are highly focused on reaching out to at-risk and disadvantaged youth. We want kids and teens to see the beauty of the golf course, learn the skills they need to succeed in life, and build relationships with those who care for their well-being. In 2022, we worked with more than 1,800 participants and managed payroll for nine full-time staff, 60 part-time Lead Coaches, and 25 junior coaches across a regional territory that includes Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and Holland.
This position will be in charge of leading and directly managing all specialist positions based in Grand Rapids, including but not limited to accounting, marketing and communications, fundraising, information technology, and various interns.
This position will also take a lead role in ensuring all communities are receiving high-quality service and care from our Grand Rapids-based specialists. This individual will interact with three Area Directors (Muskegon, Holland, and Kalamazoo) on a semi-frequent basis to aid in The ideal candidate has outstanding leadership skills with the ability to motivate, guide, and manage various individuals across the entire organization. Preferably, this individual will have experience running or operating a business or nonprofit leading groups of people located in multiple areas. This position will also coach sessions with students at least one day per week, and ideally has a strong affinity for golf, a knowledge of the local golf community, and an interest in leading and guiding less-experienced staff.
We are seeking an individual with strong communication, problem-solving, and organizational skills. Individuals who most often succeed in our organization will have the ability to plan and be proactive, yet remain flexible, as well as have demonstrated interpersonal communication skills, a high-degree of empathy, and an optimistic ‘can do’ attitude.
Essential Job Functions:
First Tee – West Michigan serves four main communities: Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and Holland. The Director of Operations will oversee, lead and manage all specialists who serve all four communities:
- Lead professionals in different areas of expertise, including accounting, fundraising, marketing, events, facilities, and others .Occasionally work in each of these various fields of specialization.
- Manage at least five staff and payroll, ensuring the various parts of the organization operate smoothly.
- Conduct regular one-on-ones with each direct report ensuring they are setting and reaching their goals and objectives, and developing similar cadences with team members to do so with interns.
- Ensure specialists are leading their respective team of volunteers, interns, and junior coaches effectively.
- Ensure deadlines are met for upcoming fundraising events. Recruit needed volunteers, participants, and other parties to make sure things are ready for the day-of-the-event.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit sponsorships from individuals, corporations and foundations to meet the annual budget.
- Manage, participate, and fundraise for First Tee’s Annual Golf Marathon Event and Grand Rapids’ based Golf Outing.
- Assist with communication activities, manage and streamline CRM and Donor Management tools.
- Assist Executive Director with Board cultivation and stewardship, as well as identify potential candidates.Manage donor and volunteer cultivation and stewardship practices, including distribution of swag, thank you notes, and similar responsibilities.
- Identify new potential systems and processes to increase efficiency, productivity, and eliminate bottlenecks and pain points.
- Handle all responsibilities of the day-to-day running of the office, ensuring that the facility is maintained and issues or maintenance needs that arise within the office space are dealt with in a timely manner. For example HVAC, internet, plumbing, appliances.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Operations, Finance, Non-Profit Management, or Professional Golf Management, or similar. A bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred, but not required. Equivalent experience may be considered in its place.
Leadership and Management Skills
- Ability to motivate, encourage, and empower a variety of specialist roles
- Ability to hold multiple people accountable to their roles and responsibilities
- High level of empathy
- Strong use of the written English language, including grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Active listener
- High emotional IQ
- Comfortable learning online database systems:
- Zenefits, Hubspot, DonorBox, G-Suite, Asana, SalesForce, Slack, are used frequently
- Golf swing knowledge
- Youth/coaching experience
- Flexibility of schedule
- Ability to work remotely semi-frequently
- Paid Time Off
- Mileage reimbursement for in-work travel
- 3% Simple IRA match
- Health Insurance HSA with organizational investment and match
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- This position will be based out of the Grand Rapids office.
- Holidays Off (New Years Eve & Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Friday after, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day)
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the following email: [email protected]
Contact: David Hondorp, HR & Talent Acquisition Specialist
Website Address: www.firstteewestmichigan.org