What is First Tee – West Michigan?
At First Tee – West Michigan, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
Through our program, kids will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Golf fundamentals and advanced techniques
Advancing through the Program
At each age group, participants engage with the 5 Key Commitments: Pursuing Goals, Growing through Challenge, Collaborating with Others, Building Positive Self-Identity, and Using Good Judgement, while focusing on mastering golf fundamentals and building upon a golf skill foundation as they advance within the program.
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and characters commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course
Is my child eligible to receive a scholarship to attend classes?
How much does it cost normally?
Sessions are free for anyone eligible for MI Income Assistance Programs or families experiencing financial hardship.
$80 per six-class session for full-price students
Where are you located?
Our main office is located at 3450 36th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49512. We offer programs at many golf locations and schools throughout West Michigan.