Program Experience Intern
Position Posted: November 14, 2023 Apply Before: March 1, 2023
Job Category & Wage: Full-time seasonal (April-October), $15/hour
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Relevant Work Experience: See Below
Preferred Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree (or currently pursuing) in Business, Sports Management, Prof. Golf Management
The Lake Michigan Junior Golf Association was established in December of 2006 to provide junior golf tournaments in West Michigan to all youth. In 2011, The Lake Michigan Junior Golf Association shifted its focus to establishing a chapter of First Tee – West Michigan. On June 23, 2011, First Tee – West Michigan officially became a chapter of First Tee.
First Tee – West Michigan is one of 150 chapters worldwide that are part of a global non-profit youth initiative. First Tee was created in 1997 by the World Golf Foundation to use golf and character education to provide young people of all ethnic and economic backgrounds an opportunity to develop life-enhancing values such as honesty, integrity and sportsmanship. By engaging youth in a combination of life skills, leadership and golf activities, they are exposed to positive traits that will help them become valuable assets to their community and eventually achieve success in life. First Tee’s Life Skills & Golf Experience curriculum is the unique component that sets it apart from many other successful junior golf programs.
At First Tee – West Michigan, we are highly focused on reaching out to at-risk and disadvantaged youth. We want our participants to see the beauty of the golf course, learn the skills they need to succeed in life, and build relationships with those who care for their well-being.
The Program Experience Intern will report directly to the Program Director. Inspired by a genuine passion for empowering and helping youth succeed in life, s/he will work diligently to promote and expand First Tee programs in Grand Rapids. The Program Experience Intern will help with programming, implementation, and support the overall strategic and operational plan for First Tee – West Michigan in Grand Rapids. This position could also coach classes when needed.
The ideal candidate has outstanding administrative, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, strong affinity for golf and the golf community, and an interest in working with participants ages 7-17 (and their parents).
Responsibilities including but not limited to
- Help track participants information and progress through First Tee online participant databases (Salesforce & Parent Portal)
- Manage student registration for Grand Rapids programs
- Communicate with parents through website, email, text, and phone calls
- Help with the scheduling of coaches and volunteers for all programs
- Other data entry that the Executive Director and Program Coordinators need help with
- Fulfill Shopify orders and inventory tracking
- Event preparation and management; Muskegon and Grand Rapids Outing, Alternate Shot, Coaches Training, Employee Appreciation Outing, Marathons
- Lead coach classes when needed
- Maintain the stock of the equipment and store items at all instructional areas
- Assist in creation of promotional materials to increase the awareness of the programs
- Assist with Lead and Junior Coach Evaluations
The following characteristics are necessary for success in this position:
- General knowledge of sports and enthusiasm for golf-A love for youth (age 7 to 17)
- Ability to multitask
- Strong use of the written English language, including grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Comfortable learning online database systems
- Hubspot, G-Suite, Asana, SalesForce, Slack, are used with frequency
- Flexibility-some nights and weekends required
- High integrity, attention to detail and well organized
- Ability to multitask
- Flexibility of schedule
- Ability to work remotely semi-frequently
- Holidays Off (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day)
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the following email: [email protected]
Contact: David Hondorp, HR & Talent Acquisition Specialist
Website Address: www.firstteewestmichigan.org